Information from the 1966-69 Argos
As I was looking for some statistics about Athletics and Musicals for this website, Jerry Malcore ('69) was kind enough to go through his yearbook archive and report back on some statistics he found. I am including them here because they are interesting, and I didn't use them all on the other pages. Then I asked him if they had the Fighting Squire logo on their helmets. He sent me the picture below to show that they did not. Instead they were silver. But what I noticed was that Premontre beat us 74-0 that year! What the heck?! Evidently we lost six all conference players after the 1966 season and really struggled in 1967 and 1968.
Here's what Jerry sent me:
1966 Argos (1965-66 school year)
Play: Twelve Angry Men
Junior Prom: “In The Misty Moonlight”
Football: 5-4 record
Basketball: 8-12 record
Play: Rescue My Castle - Terry Anne Meeuwsen was in play and later became Miss America.
Junior Prom: "Almost Paradise"
Football: 4-4 record
- Pete Vercauteren (All FVCC Lineman of the Year, All Conference, All Metro, All-State Honorable Mention)
- Mike Baxter (All Conference, All Metro, All State Honorable Mention)
- Paul Haen (All Conference, All State Honorable Mention)
- John Van Wassenhoven (All Conference)
- John Koop (All Conference)
- Karl Appleton (All Conference)
Basketball: 14-11 record, Regional Champ, 4th at State
Play: I Guess This Means Goodbye - Terry Meeuwsen appeared again.
Junior Prom: “A Summer Place”
Football: no record available but we did not win “one” game
Basketball: 19-6 record, Regional Champ, 3rd at State
Golf: Conference Champs with Pat McWey medalist
Play: Almost Summer
Junior Prom: Scarborough Fair
- John Van WassenHoven (All State - First time for a Squire up to this point in time.)
Basketball 17-5 record
- John Albers (All Conference, All Metro)
Back to the Argos Page or the Pennings Home Page
Contact Eric Elfner at elf(at)abbotpennings.com with additions, corrections or comments on this site.